Saturday, February 17, 2007
Secret Pal 10
Here is my post for Secret Pal 10, a fun knitting group activity. I signed up, and now I am posting my Questionnaire here so that when my secret pal gets my name, they can come here and learn more about me. I will do the same when I get the name of my new pal. Then we stay in touch and trade gifts with each other for the next three months. It sounds like a lot of fun! Here goes...
Here are is the questionnaire for SP10. Please be sure to post it in a spot on your blog where your pal can easily find it. Since your pal will use this to help create your packages you'll want to have it posted to your blog no later than the last day of February.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
LOVE natural fibers. I got back into knitting socks because I learned about Superwash Wool and I fell into all those fabulous sock patterns out there. Can you even imagine life before the internet? I was a sock knitter who quit because my wool socks got holes in them right away and were not worth the investment. Now I've discovered a whole new world!! Haven't used any pure acrylic and cannot imagine doing so except for decorative purposes.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
This is terrible - right now it is a big ole zip lock bag!! The good news is that I can see into it when retrieving needles. But also, I have some embroidered fabric waiting to be made into a needle case. I can't seem to find the time to make it!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit when I was 8 years old. I sat on the front porch steps (late 50's) and my grandmother helped me on a Sunday afternoon right after lunch. I was still tentative, so I walked to the library the next day and checked out a book on learning to knit. From there, I was on my own and knitted mostly gloves and mittens. Later, a sweater for my boyfriend. Still later, sweaters for my children. And then socks. Love at first sight!! Socks! And now there is superwash wool. A match made in heaven. I wish I could tell grandma! I consider myself an intermediate, waiting to advance!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Of course! But there is so much on it that I would never show it to anyone. They'd think I am the greediest girl who ever lived!! It is my private luxury - books to drown among!
5. What's your favorite scent?
Gardenia. also like Vanilla.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Dark Chocolate. Also like those chocolate creams that come in a romantic box.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I would like to spin with a drop spindle and have bought some roving in hopes that I will learn how. I don't see myself doing the whole spinning wheel thing, but a bit of yarn on the spindle ~ can someone teach me? Otherwise, I am an accomplished artist and have worked professionally. I was in the beaded jewelry business for several years. I quilted for a number of years and like anything to do with fabric, beads or paint. My hobby is hobbies! I'm hopeless!!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like most any music. My top five are: Mozart, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Vivaldi, and Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder. and yes, I can play MP3s. I have an ipod for books on tape and lots of music. I listen to it every day and it puts me to sleep at night.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Adore Periwinkle Blue; Grape with Lime, Black & Taupe together, Blue-Blood Red. Fond of Cream and Naturals. Can't abide too much Orange or Tomato Red
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am mature, 55 years old, on my own. I have three grown children and three grandchildren who are the light of my life. I am going to go look at Bichon puppies soon in search of a companion.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Wear scarves all the time. Love to change them out with my coats for variety. Not so much hats or ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
13. What are you knitting right now?
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely. There is a piece of the maker's heart in such a gift. I would treasure it.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Love the Brittany Birch DPNS, but also love the Knit Picks Circs! I didn't wanna like those Knit Picks, but I do! But the birch ones make me feel so mellow. And I have a pair of straight Rosewood in size 11 that are nice.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Both! And love using them because I got such a deal. Don't even mind frogging when I rewind myself!!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Believe it or not, I don't have one. I make myself finish things or Frog them!
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Sorry, don't much care for holidays. Too much expectation. I like everyday celebrations the best. Just because....
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yes, I collect old Capodimonte Porcelain with a certain look. It has to have porcelain roses on it and be primitive looking, not refined. And I LOVE hand-dyed yarns. And BOOKS! If I have extra money, I will buy a book in a heartbeat!!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I put things on my Amazon wish list when I find them. I haven't subscribed to any mags yet. There is so much online to look at! Always wanting more sock yarn, of course! I'd like to check out those arty needles with the glass tops, but would they work and not break? Would like to have a drop spindle and learn to use it.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
yeh, haven't done Magic Loop yet. Would need to buy some longer circs for that. And I'd like to try some cashmere yarn for socks. Is there a cashmere superwash?
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
oh yeh.........foot length (standing on ruler) = 9.75"; around the ball of the foot = 9"; up to calf with ruler = 7.5". Flat feet - no high arch. Shoe size = Women's 8 or 8.5. Rather medium overall.
23. When is your birthday?
Geez, I hate to say since I don't put much stock in holidays. I will share with a buddy, but otherwise, I like special days and gifts just because.......