Wednesday, March 29, 2006

another day, another drawing...


wouldn't it be great to really do a sketch every single day? I don't know if I can commit to that, but I sure love the idea. And this web group, Everyday Matters, is a great encouragement. I made my first post and got lots of encouraging replies ~now I need to check out some other sketching blogs and get to know my new friends.

I find that I have two different reactions to checking out fellow artists. Maybe three. First, it seems like everyone is an artist and what I do can't possibly be of any importance. But I HAVE learned over the years that that is not true, even though I often feel that way.

Second, I start COMPARING myself to others immediately. What? Like this is a competition?? THAT, I would like to quit doing. And this idea of just doing a sketch of something in your everyday life each day might just do the trick. I mean, who do I need to compare myself to on that? My life is not like any one else's and the things that I choose to sketch are personal to me. No comparison. And no comparison needed. Just do it, Starr, ok? Just do it and enjoy the process. And enjoy what others do as well.

And third, I start feeling very un-clever. I think I am soooo creative and then someone else blows the socks right off me. Their ideas, their perspective, their ability - are all so superior that I wonder why I even bother! I guess that makes this observation part of the "competition" issue, but honestly, it has held me back more than once.

So, ok, I'm 54 and I'm still trying to get it through my head that I am ok as I am and it is ok to express myself. It is valid and my point of view is of value. No one says or does things quite like me, so what I put out there is ok. Very, very ok.

And that's the junk in my head that I want to clear out so I can get on with things.

I have sooooooo very much to say. And I feel the clock ticking. A sketch a day should be a minimum requirement for the likes of me. I've known I was an artist since I was eight years old. That's 46 years or more than 16,000 days ago. Imagine if I had a drawing for each of those days!! No matter what they were of, or what caliber, that would be a mighty statement!

Going forward - it is a drawing a day whenever possible. (Can you tell I don't like absolute rules??) Hey, maybe I can do make-up work when necessary!! If I miss a day, then double up! Whatever - I am driven to expression.

another day, another drawing...

sounds good to me.

6 comments:

Deluzy said...

I so envy you your visual, graphic talent, Starr -- and your writing is pretty fab, too.

pedalpower said...

I love your journal pages! Such a nice style and combination of writing and drawing.

Julie Oakley said...

Lovely work and those portraits of your daughter, absolutely wonderful

Alanna Beckwith said...

i know what you mean about 'comparing' . I tend to just do my drawings, but not look at other folks' stuff too often. Or I start feeling like mine isn't good enough. Enough for what? For me it is enough. LIke you, I start looking at all the things around me in a new light and thing, "why, I could draw that if I only had pen and paper right now."

melissa said...

great drawing and story, and better yet that there's a "happy ending"

melissa said...

ooops...that comment was supposed to go with the three paintings of your daughter. sorry.