Wednesday, April 12, 2006

today's everyday things...

an everyday drawing habit sure puts you on the lookout for new subjects! yesterday, i lamented not picking a cherry blossom, so today i made sure to take a walk out by the glorious row of blooming japanese cherry trees at work for a closer look. i snagged a couple low twigs and took them back to my office. later, i carted one home to draw. they don't last very long off the tree, but i was able to get a decent sketch. this sketch will be my post for edm challenge #62, which is to do something different in the process of sketching. i had yet to do a watercolor since i joined edm, so this is a bit different from what i've been doing. it is not a pure watercolor since i also found my micron pens and just couldn't resist some detail with the .005. what a deliciously thin line!

cherry blossom

earlier in the day i had taken part of my lunch break to capture a couple of bananas that have ripened almost too much! i would still eat them, but not for much longer. i just need some granola and cold milk to go with it...
bananas



i am finding that absolutely anything is fodder for sketching and i am loving every minute of it! the new moleskine is developing into a sketchbook that is revealing itself to me a little bit every day. i can't wait to see what happens next since i don't really know!

12 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

These are wonderful, but then I love all your work!!

Anonymous said...

Very very lovely and graceful.

Robyn said...

This is a fabulous entry. The cherry blossoms are beautiful but the banana entry is a gem. A great example of what is possible with simple things.

Lin said...

The page opened and I had to GASP at the phenomenal paintings you've done!! From form to line to color to shading to shadow to composition to words on paper -- OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! You are my new mentor! LOVE THESE!!!!!!!

SideShowMom said...

I'm with Lin, WOW! That cherry blossom smells heavenly! And I love your journal page about the banana! Really funny and a lovely layout! That joke's great!

Blessings!

Tami said...

The shadow details in your cherry blossoms are devine! I love it that you are also drawing something everyday, you are right, everything becomes fodder for the pen.

Anonymous said...

Love both of these. I also took a low lying bloom the other day to draw and I felt so guilty! And then I considered that the tree had 1000s of others and now the petals are flying around in the breezes like confetti anyway. The banana page journaling is priceless!

Linda said...

Your drawings and paintings are wonderful. You are an inspiration! :-)

Lindsay said...

Ilove these posts you have put up today. The cherry blossoms are sublime! I too am really loving my moleskine. I usually like to work in a larger format but something about the size, the paper and all makes it feel cozy to me.

Mindixy said...

May I incorporate all the previous comments' sentiments in mine? Your work is amazing and inspirational - the cherry blossoms especially took my breath away.

Anonymous said...

...and the little fallen blossom to the front of the flower head? Yes, it is the details that make or break a study. Superb!

Cynthia Padilla, Editor, Sketching & Drawing Garden & Hearth: www.gardenandhearth.com/SketchingandDrawing.htm

Feature artist,“Wild Color of Insects” http://www.dig-itmag.com/columns/goodies_story/262_0_18_0_M/

Botanical Art & Naturalist Illustration. Forum dedicated to the realistic portrayal of plants, flowers, natural science http://groups.yahoo.com/group/botanicalart

Unknown said...

I have been a art site lurker forever, but stumbled onto your blog pushing me into a whole new world. I can now profess to actually moving from watching,collecting, hording collections upon collections to posting to your blog site. I am totally entralled by your drawings and use of colors with your drawings. Give me MORE!